Turns out that art and science are more related than you might expect. This weeks highly informative episode is with Dr. Hayley Gillespie, the founder and director of Art.Science.Gallery. She has bachelor’s degrees in biology, fine art, and environmental studies from Austin College and a doctoral degree in ecology, evolution, and behavior from UT. In addition to being a small business owner she also studies endangered species, creates art that is inspired by her activities as a scientist, and practices sustainable urban agriculture and native plant restoration. She is also a full time lecturer in Biology at Texas State University in San Marcos, TX. There is so much to learn in this episode. Be sure to explore the links at the bottom of the show notes to take a deep dive into many of the subjects and persons we talk about in the interview. So inspiring!
Some of the subjects we discuss:
- Origins of the gallery
- Childhood influences
- Graduate school
- Blogging & making art
- Collages of scientists
- Charles Darwin, Ernst Haeckel, Anna Atkins, Angie Lewin
- Margie Crisp, Leonardo DaVinci, Ele Willoughby, Grace Hopper
- Mary Golda Ross, Joan Roughgarden, Mary Anning
- Women in science
- What is Science art
- Running a gallery
- Supporting Austin artists
- Trading car show
- Herb & Dorothy
- Solar show/Print Austin
Founded in 2012, Art.Science.Gallery. is a crowd-funded art space dedicated to art-science fusion of all kinds. Located in the Canopy fine arts complex in East Austin, the gallery’s mission is to engage the public in the natural sciences through the visual arts. Art.Science.Gallery. exhibits artwork that is steeped in and reflective of scientific ideas; artwork that exemplifies the integration of scientific knowledge and discovery with a very thorough artistic process. Art.Science.Gallery. is also proud to be a woman owned small business and a Platinum-Level Austin Green Business Leader.
ART.SCIENCE.GALLERY. BY THE NUMBERS (2012-2017)
• 45 science-inspired art exhibitions free and open to the public.
• 700+ artists featured in gallery exhibits from 40 US states and 18 countries (40% Texas artists).
• $120,000+ paid directly to science-inspired artists in support of their work and careers.
• 56 artists represented in the gallery’s science-inspired gift shop.
• 200+ free public events hosted including film screenings, science talks, artist lectures and more.
• $5,000+ in donations and services given to 20+ causes and non-profits.
• 40+ organizational sponsors and partners to broaden the impact of our exhibitions and programs.
• 13 students and recent graduates trained in our 14-week professional gallery internship program.
tue / thu / fri 12-6pm
sat / sun 12-4pm
mon / wed closed
Open through Christmas Eve, December 24th 12-4pm.
Gallery closed Christmas Day December 25-January 19th, but is available for rental during this time.
(512) 522-8278 or info [at] artsciencegallery.com. Messages and emails left on mon & wed or holidays will be returned the next business day.
916 Springdale Rd. Bldg 2 #102
Austin, TX 78702
- Art.Science.Gallery. website
- biocreativity | art. biology. creativity. science. design. nature.
- Emily Bryant, Invasive Art - Invasive Species Initiative
- Inked Animal
- Darwin Day Portrait Project on Vimeo
- Texas Memorial Museum | UT Austin
- Charles Darwin - Wikipedia
- Sylvia Earle - Wikipedia
- About Jane - The Jane Goodall Institute
- Charles Henry Turner - Scientist, Educator, Zoologist - Biography.com
- Ernst Haeckel: the art of evolution | The Guardian
- Da Vinci: Machines in Motion – Texas Museum of Science & Technology
- Cyanotypes of British Algae by Anna Atkins (1843)
- Angie Lewin - printmaker, painter and designer
- Margie Crisp Fine Art and Design
- Ele Willoughby - the ongoing saga of minouette
- Maia Weinstock - 15 Works of Art Depicting Women in Science - Scientific American
- Go Ahead and Do It - Portraits of Women in Science |||
- Grace Hopper Quotes: Computer Programming Pioneer
- Mary Golda Ross - This Little-Known Math Genius Helped America Reach the Stars | Smithsonian
- Joan Roughgarden - Evolution's Rainbow - University of California Press
- Mary Anning - Biography, Facts and Pictures
- Herb & Dorothy 50x50
- Art/Sci Trading Cards